Thursday, December 9, 2010

Legacy of Deaf Devices

G'day Everyone.

If you have lived since the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's, then you know we have many different devices for the deaf in our homes. But those born in 1990's and 2000's may not realize how important the devices of 1960's to 1980's are to us older deaf individuals. The kids of 1990's and 2000's may not realize how much that we, the deaf community, have fought to make these improvements.

I was born in the 1960s. But my parents only gave me a hearing aid and did nothing else. They wanted me to function as a hearing person. My school district gave me a phonic ear to use daily in the class room. They also wanted me to function as a hearing person.

But once I became of age, I went and learned of the deaf culture. My first two devices? The first early closed captioning unit and a new portable TTY. My parents didn't like it. It became a culture struggle in my family.
The only thing they agreed to was my need for a amplified phone. That was about it.

Decades later, the first generation of caption devices and the early models of TTYs are gathering dust in the closet. Computers have improved communications for the deaf. TVs now have built in closed captioning. Video phones have replaced the TTYs. Sidekicks and cell phones have become the mobile communications of texting for the deaf these days.

It's an amazing time to live in this deaf culture world. The only sad thing is that hearing aids that were once forced on kids of long ago (of the 1960's and 1970's) were easy to accept because it wasn't really a part of your body that much. But now that CIs are being forced on kids so young, it makes you wonder how in 20 years from now, will these adults actually be jealous of adults who have hearing aids? Think about it.

I like today's post: Link: http://blog.mdaigletoons.com/?p=464

One other thing I wanted to comment: Tron, and Tron Legacy is kind of like the forerunner of the movie Avatar. Here's one thing I want you to think. If we were all hooked up into a computer, just like in the movie: The Matrix series, would we all be improved of who we are? Would we be better off or worse? Ask yourself: is a computer generated body (avatar/tron like) body better than a physical body? Do we have a soul in the computer world?

Think on those things. I don't need your comments of answers because there is no right or wrong. Just thinking of all the ethics out there.

Till next post, I'll clue you in later!

No comments: