Sunday, August 16, 2009

GPSing the drive! (technology, for better or worse!)

G'day Everyone!

My post is really called "technology for better or worse". Some times technology is good, some times technology is bad.

I'll start with the bad. Ever have a day you go to staples to get some resumes scanned? Only does the computer say "unable to scan on to disk, permission to OVERWRITE?" and I told to the nice lady "Do not overwrite. Just give me a new disk". Things OK, or so I thought.

Later that Thursday night at 8:45pm, I'm wanting to print a few things off my old disk. Load it up and it shows something else! I'm going "Oh Techno horror! where's my old files!". Ever do a fast drive from your house to staples? Oh man! I get there just as they're closing and pound on the window pane door! "let me in! I need to see your computer!". Clerk let me in. Manager came over and I told him what happened. We go over to the copy center computer. As fate would have it, the damn machine had NO recovery file program since everything runs off a corp server (how evil can they get to be?) At least the manger was nice to say that if I can find all my originals, he'll scan them in for free on Friday morning. I said, "oh boy.. what a day".

Next day it's Friday Am. I have a job interview with the Social Security Admin that day. (yes, folks. A fed job). Long drive.
I get down to Staples bright and early and got the scanning done fast. *phew* (and made back up copies as a precaution).

My sister Fran loaned me her TomTom. That was a GPS (global Positioning System). (If you are thinking a Tomtom is something else, you got a dirty mind!) Now, I've seen Garmin GPS and TomToms. But using this? I've already printed out the directions from MapQuest.com But my sister said "just try it.". So I thought, "ok. if it gets me lost, I'll have something else to blame on.".
Amazingly, the TomTom GPS worked wonders. Even when I knew another way, it did a PLOTTING and kept up with me. I must have drove it crazy. But the nice thing is that the GPS did lead me to my job interview in the Baltimore, MD area and back!

If you want to argue in the comments of which is the better GPS device to use, please do so. The only thing I hated about the TomTom was this raspy voice that sounded like someone sitting on the side seat and yelling which way to turn. Good thing I didn't have that in person. *whew*

The interview was TOUGH! I'm not going to reveal how it was like for others who have to interview with the SSA, but I will say it was TOUGH! So put on a smile, do the best, be prepared, and just be happy. Now it's just a waiting time to see if I get the job or not.

Only one thing. The next time I've got an interview that's more than 3 hours away from home, take an overnight motel! Day tripping was rough. I liked the GPS. Not sure I'll invest in one, but it's nice to know where you are going so it's kind of a better technology out there.

Came back home and slept out. It was an exhausting Friday.

Enjoy the weekend.

Semper FI!

No comments: