Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Deaf People and the U.S. Military: The BIG "NO!" factor

G"day Everyone.

It's interesting. Keith Nolan is just like me. Keith Nolan wanted to be trained to serve in the U.S. Military. Just like every other able bodied American citizen that wants to serve our country.

Link: http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/08/29/deaf-man-at-war-with-army-policy/?icid=maing-grid7%7Caim%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%7C90779

But mention the word "deafness" or "deaf" or "hearing impaired" and then the automatic big "NO!" comes out.

Keith Nolan is NOT alone. My own father and his brother (both have passed away) are both veterans. My father served in WW II His brother, my uncle, served in the Korean war (very ugly and controversial).

My dad wanted me to be in the military to keep his legacy going there. So he tried every thing he could do to get me in the military. Even trying to coach me over the phone to fool the recruiters who call after I registered with selective service long ago. But unfortunately, I'm too honest with people in my life. Even dad got depressed when the military people and the political people all said the same "NO!" to him.

Now if Israel lets their deaf people serve in the military, why not us? What's wrong with the military despite the early American military life? Are we trying to protect deaf people from being killed? Maybe.

Why are we then have to be deaf civilians and deaf civil servants of the U.S. Government and the State Government? Apparently, that is just enough satisfaction for our leaders to be for us. Is that what they want us to be?

Well, in this life, if I had a choice, I would want us to have more opportunities and a chance to serve in the military. Not for me because I am beyond the age of enlistment, but not the next generation of deaf students and people that want to serve.

I hope some day that President Obama, or the next president of USA will decide not only the gays in the military, but having deaf people serve in it too.

Keep the word up. Keith Nolan, you done yourself PROUD. We believe in your rights as all our rights as deaf citizens that want to protect America as well!

Until next post, I'll clue you in!


1 comment:

Meg said...

I wanted to serve, too, and thought the Israel argument was totally valid!