Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Food Nerds live on RIT campus!

G'day Everyone.

I'm a alumni. A graduate of a college. At first, I hail and love Gallaudet University in Washington, DC. It's campus is still improving now after the problems of the protests. President Hurwitz has a lot of work to do. So I hope he is successful to make it a better place.

Then I hail and love the National Technical Institute for the Deaf (NTID) which one of the many colleges of the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in Rochester, NY. When I attended that college long ago, it was sitting in a country environment that made it feel like you are away from your home in a open space where everything seems to flow easy.

But now, the years have changed and when I last visited that campus, it has become a city of its own! It's huge and it's wild. It has many things going on. Very way easy to get lost on it! The fields I spent combing around in long ago are long gone. Trees are cut down, replaced with houses and buildings. The campus seems to be on a mad pace to keep improving ever so much more! But, the one thing I learned about NTID/RIT that it can be a techno-nerd place.

That is what drew my interest to learn computers there in the first place. We students of the past days had it tougher on campus there compared to today's students that seems to have it all made now.

But then here's what drew my response to this post. Link: http://www.rit.edu/news/?v=47222
The article is called "Ctrl alt DELI: quite possible the nerdiest deli in America" ? Well, when I read it, I was amazed. It seems to fit well for a techno crazed college here. Where else would you put a Ctrl alt Deli? Silicon valley? Now that's a thought. Yes you do have to speak a little DOS language a bit if you want something. But it's a lot of fun.

So it seems to pair up well with it's other type of food store on campus : Bytes on the run, a grab and go place.

What's next iSandwhich? Macburgers? Gateway salads? Dell Deli? HP Pies? IBM Pizza? Etc, Etc. I'll stop while I'm ahead.
By the time the next RIT reunion happens as well as the NTID reunion happens, I'm sure everyone is going to want to stop in and take pictures of the place.

So RIT/NTID students, be happy you got a nice campus and nice places where you can enjoy food.
Places like this will last for a while, but look in 20-25 years and see if new things are better.

Bundle up and be warm out there. I still remember those cold quarter mile walks. *shiver*

Semper FI!

P.S. thank you James for the suggestion of the post.

No comments: