Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Funeral experience

G'day Everyone.

I've been off for a few days because of my uncle's funeral. Not only it was important to attend, but it was a relative that passed away. While attending, my memories went back to September 1995. My dad's funeral. It was just then I was totally shocked. Where was an interpreter for me? It was a chaos that time. But when I voiced it in my family, I was told of an assumption. That I could hear. That I could lipread. That I would be "compatible" with the rest of family and friends that are coming in for this funeral.

That triggered an outburst in me. Not everyone talks to me. From my cousins on down to my nieces and nephews, they never bother to text me, email me, or even take advantage of my sorenson VP. It's like avoiding the deaf relative. There are a FEW cousins who do try to reach out to me but only at events.

When I talked to a local funeral home director, I asked them a question. I said "If you were to know a relative related to the deceased was deaf, would you be willing to provide interpreters for the deaf ?" . The director said, "Yes. We take care of our clients and their family members. We try to meet their needs."

Some funeral homes that I've talked to said that they would not provide interpreters for the deaf and places the burden on grieving families to find local deaf ministries or interpreting agencies to provide services for their deaf family members. That is a shame.

When I recounted my experience from the 1995 funeral, it was very intense, very emotional.
So how does one expect me to be able to focus on my hearing and my lipreading skills while I'm crying so much? You can't expect me to do that. In effect, I missed out on "hearing" of what was going on around me. Even the old bastard priest's speech. If there was an interpreter for the deaf there for me, I would have thoroughly appreciated that person very much in that time.

I'm sure a lot of other deaf people would too if they were involved in a family funeral situation.
My cousins and my aunt had a lot to deal with. Everyone is supporting them as they allowed to.
But one thing should be most supported. Never ignore the deaf relative or the deaf sibling. They need support and compassion as well.

I already have a dream one day when my time comes. My sisters think I'll have a "hearing" funeral, but no. I will have a DEAF funeral. Sign Language will rule the day. From the wake to burial. It will all be signed. But not to piss off hearing relatives, there will be hearing interpreters for them. I believe in equal rights and equal access. That will be my example and testimony of my life: I was born deaf and will die deaf and PROUD to be deaf. They may not like that I'm ignoring my "hearing" traits. That's life.

Any how, I'm getting back into the swing of things. Robert Goodwin is about to come home soon to his Jamie. And I got another post to do too.

For now: Semper FI.

No comments: