Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Relax, Rest, and then HELLO DC!

G'day Everyone!!

WOW! What a trip. I still get stopped and chat up a storm when there's a few people that recognize me in the NTID Focus Magazine of a picture that was taking during the Reunion in the NTID Theater. My friends that were sitting with me were: Brantley Hinshaw (looking at someone), Nicky Belfiglio and I are watching the stage action, and Bob Wilson is looking at someone else. *sigh* I still get stopped and asked questions. This was all happening during the NTID Job Fair yesterday. Also had a chance to talk to NTID President Alan Hurwitz who's doing very well, but didn't have any comment about the stolen laptop situation. Saw Prof. Jerry Artsinger in the Theater Dept. He's doing good. Heard some professors retired and some are still around. It was fun talking to so many people.

But, while it was so warm in the building, it reminded me that I was walking through the "death valley desert" area. (if there were vultures above all of us, they missed the chance for their "dinner"). It was a lot of work and talking to many employers and every one trying to make a case for a job that's available and why it should go to them. Most of the attending employers were the national ones and very few of the local employers. It was kind of sad that many of the Rochester Businesses miss out the best and brightest people around for a chance to be in their company.

But alas, as I said it was exhausting work. When I finally got out of the building 60, never have I felt such sweet air. Still, there were the young students whizzing by me on bikes, roller skates, skate boards. *sigh* Things haven't changed *THAT MUCH* on the RIT campus area. More people are chatting on Cell phones and using text pagers as well.

I stayed over for the night at my sister's home after having dinner at the new ParkPoint place at a restaurant called "Wok To Go". It's a nice Chinese cuisine place. Saw the RIT bookstore that is now the Barnes & Noebels bookstore. Abbot's Ice cream stand is still dishing up great ice cream as ever.

As I came back to Pennsylvania in a sunrise drive, I ran into fog (that looked like the harbinger of the winter snow storms), saw the full moon (HOWL!) and the leaves that are so peaking.
I stopped at the welcome area just over the Pennsylvania boarder line. Just take in the over look area and it's breath taking. I felt like quipping : "God, you just spilled your paint mix again. Clean up on earth lane 7". Being high up on the mountain, you can still smell some having a fire in the fireplace on this nippy day.
Route 15? As I said, you can almost get from here to there in a fast 65 mph way. Just remember, lot of construction is still going on route 15. Especially that they still have to build one more interstate section area.

Well, home for next 24 hours and then off I go to head down to DC. I'll be around the GU campus during home coming weekend. It should be a fun day. I'll be prepared to meet old and new friends. I look forward to riding on the tube again.

For now, the blog will go on a little "vacation" until I get back. I don't expect to post for a while. So enjoy your weekend. COME OUT TO GALLAUDET UNIVERSITY! FILL THE STANDS! SUPPORT THE MIGHTY BISONS!! FOOTBALL SATURDAY! GAME TIME: 2pm! BE THERE!

Hail Bisons!

and Semper FI.

1 comment:

RLM said...

Deaf Sherlock,

Hope to see you at the Post-Gallaudet Homecoming Deaf Get-Together Party this Saturday evening at the Nellie's bar.

Here is the street address -

Nellie's Sports Bar
900 U Street, NW
Washington, DC

One block from the U Street/African American Memorial and Carodoz Metrorail (subway) station to Nellie's!

Metrobuses 90s - #90, #92. #94 straight directly from Gallaudet main campus via Florida Avenue to Nellie's on same bus route!

Great Dining Options on U Street at reasonable and bargain prices

Huge Rooftop!
8 HDTV tv sets for sports viewing
Friendly staff and bar patrons.

Everyone deaf and hearing are welcome!

For more info, pls contact at
deafparty2008@yahoo.com

RLM